Methods of payment
The membership fees listed below assume that payment will made by credit or debit card via the online payment system, or by Direct Debit or Standing Order from a UK bank account. The card types accepted are VISA debit/credit, MasterCard debit/credit or Maestro. Payment can also be accepted by cheque or bank transfer, but an additional voluntary donation of £5 is requested to cover the added costs of processing these payments.
Current membership fees
Fellows pay reduced rates during their first year of membership and in addition there are a range of concessions. These are the membership fees for the 2016 calendar year:
Rate 1: £28
- Fellows who, on 1st January 2016, or at the time of their election in 2016, are an undergraduate or postgraduate student studying astronomy, geophysics or a related subject, at a rate equivalent to at least 25% of full time study. Fellows may only apply for this rate for up to 9 years.
Rate 2: £72
- Fellows who ceased to be eligible for rate 1 having completed their full time education after 1st January 2011 and are in the early stages of a career in astronomy, geophysics or a related subject.
Rate 3: £110
- Fellows who completed full time education before 1st January 2011.
Reduced Rates for first year of membership:
- Rate 1: £1 (if an eligible student at the date of election)
- Rate 2: £47 (also applicable, for the first year, for Fellows transferring from rate 1)
- Subscriptions for Fellows paying rates 2 & 3 who are elected after June 30 will be reduced by 50% for the first year.
- Students whose nominations are received after October 1 will be given free membership for the remainder of that year.
- Fellows over the age of 65 and who are also of 15 years standing may request to pay a concessionary rate of £28.
See the details of how to join, the benefits of membership, and the reduced rates for journal subscriptions.